Home / Forums / News/Current Events / 33rd Tokyo International Film Festival - Mewtwo St...
Thread Posts
01 Nov 2020 07:28 PM
ForumBot Automated Bots
A new news article has been posted!
pic

The 33rd Tokyo International Film Festival, which is currently being held from October 31st, 2020 to November 9th, 2020, has a special Japanese Animation section. Mewtwo Strikes Back was the first Pokémon film to be released in 1998. A screening of the movie was held on November 1st, 2020, at TOHO Cinemas Roppongi Hills in Tokyo, where director Kunihiko Yuyama, Rica Matsumoto, who plays Satoshi, and executive producer Masakazu Kubo took to the stage. Pictures taken from this event have been added to an Imageboard thread.

Director Yuyama expressed his gratitude by saying, "I'm really happy that so many people will be able to see this film on the big screen" and Rica Matsumoto said Satoshi's signature line, "Get it!".

The segment was moderated by Ryota Fujitsu, a programming advisor for the Japanese Animation Division. Rica Matsumoto recalled the time when a film adaptation was decided upon, "All the cast members in the studio were going 'Yeah!' I remember that I was delighted." At the press conference held at that time, Matsumoto recalled that, "I was excited that everyone was expecting me." Fujitsu then asked if she was under a lot of pressure to which she replied that, "There were a lot of great people on the staff and the cast, and I felt like we were all looking at it the same way, like, 'We're going to make something good.' So it was exciting!" she said with a smile.

On the other hand, "We were feeling the pressure". Kubo said. Kubo said that he already had the idea of making a film in April 1997 when the TV anime started, "Looking back, I wanted to develop characters who would be loved for a long time, and for that reason, I thought a film was essential."

According to Director Yuyama, Mewtwo Strikes Back developed from the idea of how to portray Mewtwo in the most appealing way. Because of Mewtwo's background, the film deals with themes such as "What is life?" and "What is the relationship between humans and Pokémon?"

Director Yuyama said, "I remember the screenwriter, Takeshi Suto, saying questions like 'Who am I?' and 'How big is the universe?'" These were questions that children have, and he noted that they weren't difficult themes for children.

And now, it has been 23 years since the anime Pocket Monsters started broadcasting. When asked what she is most careful about when continuing to work on the series, Matsumoto said, "I record every week as Satoshi, but I always go into the studio with the feeling that 'Today is the first time'."

When asked why Pokémon remains so beloved, Yuyama said, "When I was in elementary school, I used to catch bugs and frogs in the fields, so when I played Pokémon, I had a nostalgic feeling. When I first encountered the game, I thought it had everything a child would like. The appeal of the game is that it has all the elements you experienced as a child and that has been recreated in Pokémon, and that's what makes it such a great adventure."

Matsumoto responded to the appeal of Pokémon: "You won't be alone. There's a place where children and adults can call home. If you feel lonely, you'll be happy if you watch 'Pokémon'. Lastly, the audience talked about "Pokémon Coco the Movie" which will be released in December. Matsumoto said, "You should definitely see it! Kubo said, "I think it's a movie that shows that we have carefully protected and nurtured what we cherish. I'd appreciate it if you could come to the movie" he said, adding that he was looking forward to the future of "Pokémon".

Sources: https://2020.tiff-jp.net/ja/lineup/film/3306ANM01, https://natalie.mu/comic/news/403109 and https://news.mynavi.jp/article/20201101-1448097/