Home / Forums / Anime Discussion / Timeline Comparisons
Thread Posts
30 Dec 2011 04:13 PM
Hiroki Administrator
In relation to the games, I believe that Satoshi's story corresponds to the events prior to GSC/HGSS, despite any events that actually may have happened in GSC/HGSS or DPP (Lake of Rage, etc).

I say this because (in any long TV series, animation or not) writers tend to create enough characters/events in the show earlier on so that if show were to end, they could end it with the current characters at hand.

With the way BW was setup, Satoshi could have easily had another adventure before Isshu, and I can see the writers utilizing this. From as far as I know, we don't know how long between DP191-BW001 Satoshi stayed at his home for.

In GSC, we see Red in Mt. Silver where he supposedly trains. Satoshi made a friend with a Larvitar back in Johto near Mt. Silver. One can easily assume Satoshi whenever this anime actually ends, we can see him going back to Mt. Silver to train.

In AG132, Kikuko says she's the temporary Gym Leader. Unless a future game allows Sakaki to take back his place as the leader, I can see Shigeru (being the anime counterpart of Blue/Green) being a leader there, later down the road.

We also know the events of Raikou special at least take place prior to DP, which we can make many more assumptions. In DP, many speculated a BF arc. The issue arises with Cattleya (Caitlin). There was a second time skip in the games between DPP/HGSS to BW. They could not allow her to appear twice and with an aged appearance when Satoshi is meant to remain 10 if he were meet her twice.

In DP, the writers excluded the TR executives who appear ingame (and still are with BW).

Any thoughts?
Last edited 30 Dec 2011 04:15 PM by Hiroki
01 Jan 2012 10:19 AM
In BW's first episode the narrator says Ash is still 10, which is completely unbelieveable. They also redesigned Ash's character to make him look younger again, unlike in the AG and DP series where he actually looked older and more mature.

My guess is now that the anime has gone on for 15 years, the writers feel most of the original fans have moved on from the show and no longer watch, so they're doing this "soft reboot" of the series where it almost makes it feel like BW is a remake of the original series.

I think the reason Iris and Cilan are so similar to Misty/Brock is this is intended to be a new take on Kanto, almost as if the previous sagas never happened. Ash never brings up old friends or his old pokemon, and older characters have been disappearing for good.

Just look at what happened to Misty and Tracey, they no longer apppear anymore whatsoever, and I think the same is going to happen to everyone else.
01 Jan 2012 02:27 PM
Hiroki Administrator
He did mention Kenji/Tracey when speaking to Oak in a recent BW episode. Although I do agree saying he was 10 in the first episode was a bit of a slap in the face (but they're never consistent with ages, so we know he's been through 6 regions). Hopefully the BW League (assuming they follow the tournament style competition), he will use all his reserves for several 6-6 battles, so we know he's not THAT young...